The Medical Marijuana Registry is hosted by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. There is an online application process that can be approved in 1 to 3 business days. Mail-in applications are also available but they are reserved for patients with no internet access and they take 6 – 8 weeks to process. If you apply by mail you will not receive access to your online account.
Who can qualify?
To qualify for a Medical Marijuana card you must be a Colorado resident and 18 years of age or older, or have a primary parent who is also a Colorado resident. And you need to be diagnosed with one of the listed medical conditions:
- HIV or AIDS
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Chronic muscle spasms
- Severe nausea
- Severe Pain
How much does it cost?
Online applications cost $15.00 in addition to a $1.10 online transaction fee. Mail-in applications cost $15.00 in addition to a $3.30 certified mailing fee.
How do I apply?
Begin your application for a Colorado Medical Marijuana card by doing the following:
- Gather the following documents:
- Colorado driver’s license or identification card
- Caregiver’s registration ID, if applicable
- Credit card or bank account and routing number for online payment
- Patient’s legal representative’s Colorado driver’s license or identification card, if applicable, along with their medical power of attorney, or certified court orders
If the patient is a minor, you will also need:
- Primary parent’s Colorado driver’s license of identification card
- Certified copy of patient’s state-issued birth certificate
- Caregiver’s registration ID if parent is not the caregiver
- Minor patient consent form
- If secondary parent cannot sign consent form, secondary parent’s out-of-state ID, or certified copy of death certificate if deceased, or a copy of a court issued custody order
2. Visit with your qualified physician (MD or DO) and have them submit a certification online. Minors must visit two physicians and have both submit physician certifications.
3. Create an account on the Colorado Medical Marijuana application website. Provide your information and upload required documents. Select your physician’s certification on the website.
4. If you are approved you will receive an email notification. You can print your card from the website or display it on an Apple device.
Photo Credit: Kait Herzog