The New York Department of Health offers Medical Marijuana Registry ID cards to qualified patients through the New York Medical Marijuana Program. Applications must be submitted online.
Who is Eligible?
To get a Medical Marijuana Card in New York you must be 18 years of age or older, or have a parent/guardian apply as a Caregiver. You must also be a resident of New York and diagnosed with one of the following Qualifying Medical Conditions:
- HIV positive or AIDS
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Chronic pain (as defined by 10 NYCRR §1004.2(a)(8)(xi))
- Huntington’s disease
In addition a patient must also be diagnosed with one of these complicating or associated conditions:
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Severe or chronic pain
- Severe nausea
- Severe or persistent muscle spasms
How much does it cost?
There is a $50 application fee, but it is currently being waived for all patients by the Department of Health. By selecting “bill me later” during the registration process your application cost will be free. It is unknown how long the waiver will last.
How do I apply?
To apply for a New York Medical Marijuana Card complete the following steps:
- Visit with your qualified physician and ask them whether medical marijuana is appropriate for your condition. They will be able to issue you with an online Patient Certification through the Medical Marijuana Data Management System. Keep in mind that a physician must be registered with the state Medical Marijuana program before they can issue certifications.
- Create a my.ny.gov account
- Gather the required documents, including proof of residency and a state-issued photo ID or recent passport-style photograph. Temporary residents can also apply if they are in the state for medical marijuana treatment and have been certified by a New York physician, they may use a hospital bill, utility bill or lease as proof of temporary residency.
- If the application is approved a New York medical marijuana ID card will be sent by mail.
The Medical Marijuana Program ID Card must be carried when visiting a dispensary or any time a patient is in possession of medical marijuana.
Photo credit: Rohit Tandon