How to Get a Washington Marijuana License for Business

Recreational Marijuana Business licenses are handled by the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. Applications for Producer, Processor and Retailer Licenses are currently not being accepted. Transportation, Research, and Cooperative License applications are being accepted.

Types of Licenses:


Can cultivate marijuana plants for sale to a licensed processor or other producer. Tier 1 up to 2,000 sq. feet of dedicated plant canopy. Tier 2 2,000 to 10,000 sq. feet of plant canopy. Tier 3 10,000 to 30,000 sq. ft of dedicated plant canopy.

Cost: $250 application fee, $1480 annual fee


Can blend, package, process, and label marijuana and marijuana-infused products for sale to retailers.

Cost: $250 application fee, $1480 annual fee


Can sell marijuana or marijuana products at retail outlets to consumers 21 years of age or older. Cannot engage in internet sales or deliver products.

Cost: $250 application fee, $1480 annual fee


Can transport or deliver marijuana or marijuana products from one licensed marijuana business to another within state boundaries.

Applications are currently available from the Business Licensing Service

Cost: $250


Can produce, process or marijuana for the purpose of scientific research

Applications are available from the Business Licensing Service

Cost: $250


Qualified medical marijuana patients or providers can form a cooperative to produce and process medical marijuana plants. only members of the cooperative can consume the marijuana produced.

Requirements for all license applications:

  • All individuals listed on the application must be residents of Washington for the past 6 months
  • The premises being permitted must not be within 1,000 feet of a school, playground, recreational facility, child care center, public park, public transit center, library, or game arcade that admits minors
  • Proof of permit from the local jurisdiction where the premises are located
  • Operating plans
  • Floor plan
  • Fingerprints, criminal history, and identification from all owners
  • Business structure forms
  • Proof of legal right to occupy premises
  • Sources of funding

Medical Marijuana Endorsement Requirements

Washington state allows the sale of Medical Marijuana products to patients when a Licensed Retail Establishment has applied for and received a Medical Marijuana Endorsement from the Department of Health. To received the endorsement the establishment must:

  • Carry medical grade marijuana products
  • Participate in the Department of Health’s medical marijuana database for patients and providers
  • Issue marijuana patent recognition cards provided by the Department of Health
  • Keep all records required by the Department of Health and Department of Revenue
  • Train employees on medical marijuana practices including identifying medical authorizations and patient medical cards
  • Participate in the medical sales traceability system


Visit our State Guide for more information on getting a Marijuana License in your State.

Leave a Comment