How to Get a Washington Medical Marijuana Card

Residents of the state of Washington can apply for a Medical Marijuana card through their authorized healthcare practitioner, as regulated by the Department of Health.

Who can qualify?

In order to qualify for the Medical Marijuana License you must be a resident of the state of Washington and 18 years of age or older, or have a parent or guardian apply as a caregiver. You must also have one of the following conditions as diagnosed by a licensed physician:

  • Cancer
  • HIV
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Epilepsy
  • Glaucoma
  • Hepatitis C that is unrelieved by other treatments
  • Anorexia or diseases with similar symptoms
  • Chronic kidney failure that requires hemodialysis
  • Crohn’s disease that is unrelieved by other treatments
  • Intractable pain
  • PTSD
  • Traumatic brain injury

Mental Health conditions do not qualify.

How much does it cost?

There is no listed application fee.

How do I apply?

You must first have a Medical Marijuana Authorization Form printed out and completed by your physician who must:

  1.  Print the form on 8.5” x 11” tamper-resistant paper
  2.  Fully complete and sign the Washington State Medical Marijuana Authorization Form. The completed form must list the patient’s medical condition, the patient’s name, physical address and the medical office’s telephone number

The patient must then sign a second copy of the authorization form. This copy is for the patient to keep.

You can then take the authorization to any medically endorsed marijuana store, where a certified consultant will enter all the information into the medical marijuana authorization database and create a patient ‘recognition card’.


    Leave a Comment